The ultimate Ross Sea luxury Antarctica Cruise. This twenty -six-day epic voyage ventures to the deepest recesses of the frozen Antarctic continent. The end point is the Ross Sea also known as the last sea on Earth. It was discovered on the Ross Antarctic expedition of 1839 – 43 led by James Clark Ross. This is an unprecedented opportunity to navigate the Ross Sea and Ross Ice Shelf at a pristine and rarefied destination on our planet. At the last ocean of the earth you will explore a mere two hundred miles from the South Pole itself. This polar garden of Eden is a surreal frozen landscape of lucid blues and polar whites and remains home to a broad array of wildlife. Your neighbours include Adelie and Emperor penguins, various seals and birdlife, Minke whales, Killer whales and Humpback whales to name but a few. Come unlock the depths of your imagination on this Ross Sea luxury Antarctica Cruise.
A transcendent journey in nature to redescribe the world to you...
EXPEDITION SHIP LE COMMANDANT-CHARCOT
The expedition cruise ship Le Commandant-Charcot is named after French Antarctic Explorer Jean-Baptiste Charcot. It is the very first hybrid-electric Polar Class 2 (PC2) operated by our partners Ponant, and is a certified exploration cruise ship and is powered by liquefied natural gas. This ship allows access to destinations such as the Ross Sea which are rarely visited. A maximum of 270 passengers occupy 135 cabins aboard this luxurious vessel. There are 68 suites with private balconies, four impressive split-level suites equipped with Jacuzzi and private balconies. The crème de la crème is the panoramic Shipowner’s Suite with a vast private open terrace. Le Commandant-Charcot holds amenities such as a 275-passenger cinema, indoor and outdoor heated swimming pool, two restaurants, bars & panoramic lounge, hair salon, spa treatments, beauty care, library and gym.
Le Commandant-Charcot was built for expeditions and offers the ultimate Ross Sea luxury Antarctica Cruise. All luxurious expectations are met, but expedition means activity, and these forays to nature are immense. They include sixteen Zodiac boats for landings and sea excursions, participative science with on-board research scientists, hiking, hot air balloon, Hovercraft, kayaking, snowmobiles and polar diving (special conditions apply to diving). All excursions are delivered with gusto by the finest naturalist guides.
ITINERARY MAP - EXPEDITION CRUISE TO CHARCOT & PETER I ISLANDS
Arrival and Departure Airports
Santiago, Chile or Buenos Aires, Argentina are the usual international route to access and return from this Ross Sea luxury Antarctica Cruise. Other destinations can be arranged as required. Speak to your Totally Latin America Antarctic expert adviser to take care of your individual requirements.
QUICK OVERVIEW BY DAY:
- Day 1 – Ushuaia. Overnight Ushuaia
- Day 2 – Ushuaia Departure 18.00 hrs
- Day 3 – Crossing the Drake Passage
- Day 4 – Crossing the Drake Passage
- Day 5 – Antarctic Circle
- Day 6 – Expedition to Charcot Island
- Day 7 – Expedition to Peter I Island
- Day 8 – Bellingshausen Sea
- Day 9 – Bellingshausen Sea
- Day 10 – At Sea Aboard Le Commandant-Charcot
- Day 11 – Siple Island
- Day 12 – At Sea Aboard Le Commandant Charcot
- Day 13 – Ruppert Coast
- Day 14 – Cape Colbeck
- Day 15 – The Ross Sea
- Day 16 – The Ross Ice Shelf
- Day 17 – At Sea Aboard Le Commandant Charcot
- Day 18 – Ruppert Coast
- Day 19 – At Sea Aboard Le Commandant Charcot
- Day 20 – Burke Island
- Day 21 – Expedition to Peter I Island
- Day 22 – Expedition to Peter I Island
- Day 23 – At Sea Aboard Le Commandant Charcot
- Day 24 – Crossing the Drake Passage
- Day 25 – Crossing the Drake Passage
- Day 26 – Ushuaia. Disembark 07.00 hrs & Departure
Important Note: All Antarctic itineraries are subject to change without prior notice. The final itinerary will be confirmed by the Captain of the cruise ship.
– Roald Amundsen, speaking of the Ross Antarctic expedition 1839- 43.
- When to Travel
- Tour Info
- Basic Packing List
- Health & Safety
- Reduced Mobility
- Travel Insurance
Our trips are tailor-made to suit your requirements. Contact a luxury Antarctic Cruise expert for a comprehensive itinerary and pricing:
Guideline cruise prices begin from US $30,250 per person but are highly variable. Please contact your Antarctica luxury cruises expert for the very best in pricing options.
Included in the Price:
- 26 Day /25 Night Antarctic Cruise aboard Le Commandant Charcot vessel
- Guided excursions as described in itinerary
- 24 Hour emergency contact number and assistance (in-country).
Not Included in the Price:
- International flights.
- Domestic flights (these are included in some itineraries, speak to your adviser)
- Tips or gratuities.
- Other meals not stated in the itinerary.
- Travel insurance.
Contact Us for the latest information on specific cruise departures.
Antarctica has a window of cruising from November to March. Summer is the months of December through February and typically these are the only months for expedition style cruises. They are the busiest months but tourist flows are heavily regulated in Antarctica and so do not prove detrimental to your experience. There will be in excess of twenty hours of daylight across these months and wildlife will see many newborn as they avail of the warmer weather to maximize the chances of survival. February and March can offer improved chances to view whales.
The continent is typically cold, arid and subject to powerful katabatic winds which can reach dizzying speeds of 180 miles per hour. Your cruise will visit the coastline region, away from the central plateau, and so summer temperatures typically will hover about 32°F / 0°C.
Departure Dates: Select dates in February and March.
This luxury Antarctica vacation package is suitable for adults of all ages. Children under 3 years of age are not authorized to sail. Children between 3 and 8 years old are accepted subject to agreement at the time of booking. If accepted, a liability waiver will be completed and returned to validate your booking.
Easy – Moderate.
- Antarctic Continent
Vacation Package Type:
- A polar water-resistant parka is offered on board for all departures with an expedition programme (no children sizes, in case of consecutive cruises, only one complimentary parka).
- Half calf rubber boots with non-slip soles, which will allow you to go ashore in 20 cm of cold water, keeping your feet dry for walks and visits on steep paths. Boot rental will be offered onboard (for adults only) on Expedition cruises.
- Winter trousers and leggings
- Waterproof and windproof over-trousers. These are essential
- Pullover, sweat shirt or fleece jacket
- Thermal underwear and warm socks
- A warm hat and earmuffs
- Small waterproof backpack
- Sunglasses or goggles with excellent U.V. protection- essential
- Sunblock with U.V protections
- Lip balm
- Walking poles
NOTE: The above list is not definitive and will vary to your individual needs. Speak to your travel adviser for advice.
A doctor is present aboard your ship throughout the cruise. A nurse is also available on board.
Emergency evacuation drills are conducted on all vessels where a full complement of lifesaving equipment is included to exacting standards. The vessel has the most modern technology to assure safety and respect for the regions visited. Each ship has ISM (International Safety Management) certification, a very strict international regulation plus annual Bureau Veritas approval.
Le Commandant-Charcot is accommodating in allowing people with reduced mobility, visual impairments etc. enjoy a wonderful Antarctic experience. Please speak to your expert adviser and they will be glad to help plan the best trip for your individual needs.
Travelling to polar/isolated regions is an exhilarating experience in remote areas: please remember that you are far from modern hospitals with full medical facilities, thus evacuation is extremely expensive. We strongly request you subscribe to full coverage insurance, choose your insurance company very carefully, be extremely vigilant and ensure your insurance is fully comprehensive. Without adequate medical coverage, all expenses would have to be immediately paid with your own personal funds.
Antarctic Peninsula & South Georgia Island: Expedition Cruise (16 Days)
Discover the frozen landscapes of Antarctic Peninsula & South Georgia Island aboard the stylish ice breaking vessel the Ultramarine....VIEW TRIP >>
Ross Sea Luxury Antarctica Cruise (26 Days)
Sail aboard the expedition cruise ship Le Commandant-Charcot, on a transcendent journey in nature to redescribe the world to you…VIEW TRIP >>
Short Antarctic Cruise & Fly the Drake Passage (08 Days)
A comprehensive yet compact way to experience Antarctica. Fly to King George Island, explore Antarctica and return via the Drake Passage....VIEW TRIP >>